Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Short Stay in Saigon

Luckily, I traveled to Vietnam last fall, otherwise, I would have been sad only having spent 2 super quick days there--and really only seeing the hotel.

Mangos.  Careful, they bite.
Joining the group.
Travel day was an early one.  We had to be checked out and ready at 4:45am in Bangkok.  The airport is a modern marvel, providing lots of entertainment.  From mango touching to photobombing group photos, I'm amazed at my ability to have fun so early in the morning.  The group of tourists thought my photobomb was hilarious.  So did I.  So I added a Drake to make it even funnier.




An early morning, for sure.  Sunrise just before our 1-ish hour flight to Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon.  Shockingly, we even got a boxed meal on a flight that short.  Thai was efficient and friendly, and the plane had a forward facing nose camera, so it was fun to watch takeoff and landing.


Waffles!
Vietnam, honestly, was a bit of a blur.  We arrived in the morning and were able to check in to our hotel at the Riverside Marriott.  Like all Marriotts, it was pretty much a standard room.  Went to lunch with the team at a local place, and ended up taking a quick walk to get some fresh air.  Well, fresh with the sights and sounds of Saigon--including scooter sounds and the sweet, sweet smell of freshly made waffles.  I remember how great they were when we went last November, and we thought we'd be able to get them everywhere, but we were wrong.  Only Saigon.  So I was determined to get a few batches to bring home...the long way.  And I was successful!!  They are perfectly crisp and tasty.

The next two days were pretty much spent in the hotel conference room, but after day 1, we did manage to get out for a walk, some dinner, and an excellent, vigorous full-body massage for $29 at the Golden Lotus.  Well worth it.  A very tiny Vietnamese woman pretty much pummelled me for 90 minutes.


Playing Frogger.
It was a good few days, and of course, as soon as I was adjusted to the time zone, it was time to head off to Barcelona.

No comments: